Hello everybody! It’s Christmas Eve! Are you guys going to wait for Santa, or anything? 🙂
Speaking of Christmas, download this short story called A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote. I guarantee you that it is one of the most touching stories that you will ever read. I nearly cried at the end.
After you read the story, answer some of these discussion questions:
1) What does the gift of fruitcake symbolize, and what things can you infer from this fact?
2) Why does the narrator’s cousin call the narrator Buddy, after her long-ago friend?
3) In one part of the story, it talks about Buddy and his cousin trying to make as much money as possible. What is the significance of this?
4) Mr. Haha turns out to be nice. What is your interpretation of this?
5) Buddy is later sent off to military school and is separated from his cousin. His cousin then later dies. Also notice the age difference. What does all of this say to you?
6) Why do you think the author Truman Capote decided to write this?
7) What is the major overlying theme in the short story?
For tomorrow, I will discuss these question and do some more things. Sleep tight for Santa!